Open to Internal and External Candidates
Administrative Clerk, WASH
General Service Staff, Grade G3
Type of Appointment
Special Short Term,
Estimated Start Date
As soon as possible
January 4, 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates
IOM in Uganda is implementing the project “WASH Service Delivery for South Sudanese Refugees and Host Communities”. The project aims to reduce the risk of WASH-related diseases while adapting local actions, capacities and factors to ensure long term, resilient and cost-efficient approaches such as:
a) Maximizing use of motorized water systems.
b) Involve government beneficiaries and other actors in design and management of water schemes.
c) Develop work with Appropriate Technology Center of Uganda to scale up local technologies that involve refugees and host communities such as making sanitary pads, briquettes and soap.
d) Coordinate with other sectoral actors of health, education, nutrition and protection in analysis and implementation of health and hygiene education.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the project manager and the technical guidance of the Resource Management Officer, the incumbent will assist the team and implementing partner to undertake the following functions;
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Provide clerical assistance in the day-to-day finance and administrative support to the implementing partner including administrative, financial and logistical support, to support the timely implementation of project activities;
- Draft routine correspondences
- Provide logistical assistance to the project manager and the project team in the organization of meetings, trainings and workshops. Liaise with relevant stakeholders to coordinate the attendance of relevant officials at meetings, trainings and workshops;
- Prepare, submit, and follows up on payment/purchase requests, funds transfers relevant to the project;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- High school degree/Certificate with minimum 3 years of relevant working experience or Bachelor’s Degree with minimum 1 year of relevant working experience in Business Administration, development-related studies from an accredited institution.
- Three years (one year for applicants with Bachelor’s Degree) of relevant experience in a similar capacity with reputable organisation.
- Relevant experience working with and providing support to community based organizations;
- High energy background in managing administrative duties in a fast-paced environments. Tenacious and resourceful with a great talent for blending creativity and administrative abilities to achieve outstanding results
- Excellent organizational, communication and report writing skills;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, excel, power point);
- Demonstrates ability to take initiative, work in a team and work with minimal supervision.
- Qualification and experience in monitoring and evaluation would be an added advantage.
Fluency in English and local language is required.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send resumes with three references electronically to email@example.com by 5:30pm EAT on 04 January 2018.
The subject of your email should be the Reference Number and Position Title i.e. “SVN: 07/10/017 Administrative clerk WASH”
Since the system is automated, if you do not follow the above mentioned instruction your application may be missed by the system.
Please ensure that you send your attachments as ONE DOCUMENT in PDF.
The title of your attachment should be your full name.
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Posting Date: 22 December 2017 Closing Date: 04 January 2018