SVN: 01/02/018 IT Assistant
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Type of Appointment
Special Short Term,
Estimated Start Date
As soon as possible
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the general supervision of the chief of mission and direct supervision of RMO, the successful candidate will be responsible for the administration and provision of technical support to the IOM Uganda Local Area Network and end-users of the Mission. Particularly, the incumbent will be responsible for:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Installation, maintenance, monitoring and troubleshooting of the LAN and WAN systems.
- Provide day to day direct technical support to end-users.
- Maintain internet connectivity and mission exchange server (for e-mail).
- Administering local Email Accounts - add, delete and edit users account from the system.
- Diagnose system errors, troubleshoot and repair software application problems.
- Daily monitoring of the system – disk space, events log.
- Install software and help guide end users through customized business applications.
- Install, configure and network the PACS software related to digital radiology and tele radiology in coordination with the Manila Global Tele radiology Centre when needed.
- Perform day-to-day housekeeping/maintenance of the Tele radiology PACS software, databases and other various Tele radiology HIT software.
- Provide technical support and troubleshooting of bio-data and system errors for PACS systems and Tele radiology applications databases and servers.
- Establish and maintain a data backup scheme.
- Maintain mission ICT inventory and documentation.
- Liaise with external service providers and contractors (Communication, internet services, and connectivity, software and hardware providers).
- Liaise with ITC Manila and Geneva as per need in order to support ITC Systems
- Develop where necessary and provide training to staff/users to ensure productive use of existing and new systems.
- Assist in administering the security of various network components by providing users with necessary access to their respective LAN and Communication systems
- Maintain the highest level of computer customer service.
- Assist in planning, defining, expressing ICT related needs and in procuring ICT equipment and software.
- Maintain up-to-date inventories and tracking systems for fixed assets and supplies.
- Maintain the IP PBX System
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of High School Degree/ Certificate with 5 years of relevant experience or Bachelor’s degree with 3 years of relevant experience in Information Technology/Information Management Systems, with specialized training in Operating Systems and Local Area Networks.
- Five years (three years for Bachelor’s degree or higher) of progressively responsible professional work experience in diverse information technology areas including network administration, database management and software and hardware maintenance Experience liaising with donors, government officials and other stakeholders and a proven track record of resource mobilization.
- Analytical, communication, interpersonal and advocacy skills, sensitive to and awareness of the local development. Good knowledge of computer management and applications.
Fluency in English is required.
- Accountability- Accepts and gives constructive criticism. Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies. Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs. Monitors own work to correct errors. Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
- Client Orientation – Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work. Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients. Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries. Keeps clients informed of developments and setbacks
- Continuous Learning – Contributes to colleagues' learning. Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills. Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas. Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
- Communication – Actively shares relevant information. Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures. Writes clearly and effectively, adjusting wording to the intended audience. Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services. Expands responsibilities while maintaining existing ones. Persuades others to consider new ideas. Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
- Leadership and Negotiation – Convinces others to share resources. Actively identifies opportunities for and promotes organizational change. Presents goals as shared interests. Articulates vision to motivate colleagues and follows through with commitments
- Performance Management- Provides constructive feedback to colleagues. Identifies ways for their staff to develop their abilities and careers. Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations. Uses staff evaluations appropriately in recruitment and other relevant HR procedures. Holds directly reporting managers accountable for providing fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
- Planning and Organizing Anticipates and prepares response to changing IT needs of the relevant organizational unit. Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others. Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others. Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers. Identifies risks and makes contingency plans. Adjusts priorities and plans to achieve goals. Allocates.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send resumes with three references electronically to email@example.com by 5:30pm EAT on 20 February 2018.
The subject of your email should be the Reference Number and Position Title i.e. “SVN: 01/02/018 IT Assistant”.
Since the system is automated, if you do not follow the above mentioned instruction your application may be missed by the system.
Please ensure that send your attachments as ONE DOCUMENT in PDF.
The title of your attachment should be your full name.
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Posting Date: 07 February 2018 Closing Date: 20 February 2018