CFC: 01/05/018 Medical Escort - (Re-advertised)
Open to External Candidates
Estimated Start Date
As when needed
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall guidance of the Chief Medical Officer the direct supervision of the Migration Health Physician in charge of medical escorts, the incumbent will carry out the following duties and responsibilities:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Reports to the airport of departure to be with the applicant requiring medical escort at least 5 hours prior to actual air travel as indicated on the travel itinerary.
2. Provides medical escort assistance to refugees and other categories of migrants travelling under the auspices of the International Organization for Migration (IOM) as specified by the
migration health physician in charge of medical escorts in accordance with the medical escort’s professional qualification and skills.
3. Strictly follows guidelines, technical instructions and recommendations provided by the
Migration Health Physician in charge of medical escorts.
4. Assesses in person the migrants to be escorted at least three (3) days before departure at the
IOM Migration health center in Kampala or at any other location as instructed.
5. Requests and checks the required medical escort kit, supplies, equipment and drugs needed at least three (3) days before departure and return the same in good order and condition within 48 hours upon completion of duty.
6. Maintains appropriate level of communication with IOM staff involved in arrangement of travel.
7. Adapts, postpones, or extends travel plan as per the migrant’s medical condition at any stage during the travel- at departure points, transit points, and port of entry and at final destination.
8. Provides detailed instructions and briefing to the receiving party in final destination/port of entry before handing over the migrants escorted. In emergency cases, this requires accompanying the migrants escorted from airport of arrival up to the hospital/medical institution using an ambulance, if necessary and requested.
9. Maintains appropriate level of cooperation with IOM personnel, airport authorities, airline
10. Maintains confidentiality of medical information with regard to the person/s under his/her professional assistance.
11. Prepares and submit a written medical escort report form to the Migration Health Physician in charge of medical escorts within 48 hours upon completion of duty.
12. Performs such other related duties that may be assigned from time to time.
Required Qualifications and Experience
1. Degree in medicine, registered with the Uganda Medical and Dentist Board and with a valid license to practice.
2. At least 3 years of continuous clinical/hospital practice.
3. Possession of a valid visa for travel to USA or other destination countries such as: UK, Canada, Australia or countries of European Union is an added advantage.
4. Knowledge of emergency medical care.
5. Previous experience working in a refugee health program is an added advantage.
6. Previous travel to USA, UK, Canada, Australia or countries of European Union is an added advantage.
7. Willing to travel at very short notice.
8. Language Skills: English, Somali and Kiswahili
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send resumes with three references electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59pm EAT on 27 May 2018.
The subject of your email should be the Reference Number and Position Title i.e. “CFC: 01/05/018 Medical Escort”.
Since the system is automated, if you do not follow the above mentioned instruction your application may be missed by the system.
Please ensure that send your attachments as ONE DOCUMENT in PDF.
The title of your attachment should be your full name.
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Posting Date: 14 May 2018 Closing Date: 27 May 2018