Open to Internal and External Candidates
Project Assistant IBM
General Service Staff, Grade 4
Type of Appointment
Special Short Term,
Estimated Start Date
As soon as possible
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Uganda is a country of origin, transit and destination of migrants. For the past five years, IOM Uganda has implemented interventions in the areas of counter-trafficking, assisted voluntary return, immigration and border management (IBM), labour migration, migration and health, community stabilization/social cohesion as well as delivery of water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) services to refugees. These interventions are being implemented alongside IOM Uganda’s well-established resettlement portfolio.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and in coordination with relevant units in IOM headquarters and the Regional Office (RO) for the East and Horn of Africa, the project assistant will be responsible for supporting in the implementation of IBM projects and providing administrative support to the Mission as needed;
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist in monitoring the implementation of the IDF-funded project “Support to Uganda’s Immigration Training Academy” including technical and financial aspects in coordination with the Resource Management Unit and in compliance with IOM policies and donor requirements.
- Liaise with the African Capacity Building Centre and the Directorate of Citizenship and Immigration Control as needed.
- Contribute to the preparation of all donor reports.
- Provide data to be used in the development of concept notes and project proposals on IBM.
- Attend meetings and events on border management or on other issues as requested by the Mission.
- Participate in UNDAF ORG 1.4 (Peace and Security);
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of High School Degree/ Certificate with 4 years of relevant experience or Bachelor’s degree with 2 years of relevant experience in social sciences, political science, law, economics or similar field from an accredited institution.
- Four years (two years for Bachelor’s degree or higher) of relevant professional experience in implementing IBM projects
- Experience liaising with donors, government officials and other stakeholders and a proven track record of resource mobilization.
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports.
- Knowledge and experience working with IOM’s administrative procedures a distinct advantage.
Fluency in English and local language is required.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- Emergency and Crisis- works effectively in high-pressure, rapidly changing environment; coordinates actions with emergency response actors and making use of coordination structures; supports adequate levels of information sharing between internal units, sectoral partners, IOM and other emergency response sectors; establishes and maintains effective relationships with implementing partners
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send resumes with three references electronically to email@example.com by 5:30pm EAT on 04 January 2018.
The subject of your email should be the Reference Number and Position Title i.e. “SVN: 10/12/017 Project Assistant IBM”.
Since the system is automated, if you do not follow the above mentioned instruction your application may be missed by the system.
Please ensure that you send your attachments as ONE DOCUMENT in PDF.
The title of your attachment should be your full name.
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Posting Date: 22 December 2017 Closing Date: 04 January 2018