SPECIAL VACANCY NOTICE (SVN)
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title: Senior Human Resource Assistant
Vacancy No: SVN/17/09/018
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade G6
Type of Appointment: Six (6) months Special Short term, with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 05 October 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.
Working under the overall supervision of the Resource Management Officer (RMO) and the direct supervision of the Human Resource Officer (HRO), and in close collaboration with the Panama Administrative Centre (PAC) and The Regional Office, the successful candidate will take a leading role in the human resources activities, including recruitment and related recommendations, retention, promotion, separation, and other associated administrative actions. In particular, s/he will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- In coordination with the Human Resource Officer (HRO), monitor the Human Resources Management function in IOM Kampala and field offices in accordance with the Organization's policies, procedures and practices.
- Coordinate the recruitment process for National staff and support the recruitment of the International Staff. Advise on staffing issues, including vacancies and use of temporary assistance in consultation with the HRO to meet exceptional work requirements.
- Oversee the preparation of the monthly payroll for national staff in Uganda and related administrative actions including the administration of entitlements/benefits and contractual status for locally recruited staff; Ensure IOM Uganda's Human Resources database is current and up to date.
- Assist in the review, assess, plan and organize staff Development and Training in close collaboration with HRM/SDT, including staff Development and Training priorities and plans.
- In coordinate with the Human Resource Officer (HRO) calculate the promotion/ demotion/ reclassification of National positions and the process for International positions as required. Provide guidance to programme managers on classification processes; and promote internal grade consistency by undertaking periodic review of positions within the mission.
- Monitor compliance with the Staff Evaluation System (SES) within the Mission and advocate for timely completion of the performance management process in line with organizational deadlines. Provide support to all staff on business-related issues. As required, facilitate performance management discussions between staff and supervisors.
- Supervise and monitor the work of the Human Resources staff in carrying out all human resources administrative transactions, including preparation of staff tables, personnel actions, updating PRISM HR, processing of contracts, maintenance of personal files and attendance monitoring
- Provide support to the Mission on administrative actions, and coordinate as required with PAC Human Resources Advisory Services and Legal Department in Geneva;
- Assist in the coordination and implementation of Managers & staff in respect of rights, responsibilities, code of conduct and difficulties associated with work and entitlements; Evaluate causes of problems or constraints and propose solutions.
- Liaise with HRAS PAC during local staff separation process for National, IOM Panama Administrative Centre as appropriate and manage the relationship with IOM Health Service Provider
- Be responsible for the Organizational Management (OM) component in PRISM HR with the guidance of the HRO maintain the staffing structure and reporting lines
- Perform any other related duties as required.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with four years of relevant professional experience; or
- High School Degree/Certificate with six years of relevant professional experience.
- Professional work experience in Human Resources management/ Administration, preferably gained within international organizations for candidates with high school degree/certificate.
- Demonstrated experience with interpretation and application of policies, rules and regulations, staff entitlements and benefits, recruitment and selection practices and training programmes, preferably within the UN system.
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports. High degree of computer literacy; good knowledge of MS Excel is essential. Advanced communication and interpersonal skills, including tact and diplomacy. Proven attention to detail and understanding of the importance of confidentiality.
- Prior experience in usage of SAP/PRISM HR an added advantage.
- Solid computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office package (Office, Excel, Power Point, Outlook), internet and Email.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, work efficiently under pressure and willing to accept flexible work schedule.
- Required fluency in English.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12:00am EAT on 05 October 2018. The subject of your email should be the Reference Number and Position Title i.e. “SVN: 17/09/018 Senior Human Resource Assistant”
Since the system is automated, if you do not follow the above mentioned instruction your application may be missed by the system.
Please ensure that you send your attachments as ONE DOCUMENT in PDF.
The title of your attachment should be your full name.
Closing Date: 05 October, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Posting period: 21.09.2018 – 05.10.2018