CALL FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST: CONSULTANT TO CONDUCT SMALL BUSINESS SKILLS TRAINING FOR YOUTH AND WOMEN
The International Organization for Migration (IOM), the United Nations Migration Agency, is committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits both migrants and society.
IOM received funds from the European Union Trust Fund to implement the Strengthening Social Cohesion and Stability in Slum Populations (SSCoS) project in the Kampala areas of Katwe, Kisenyi, Bwaise and Kabalagala. The overall objective of the action is to address the root causes of inter-communal conflict in slum populations by addressing sources of grievance, strengthening community cohesion around shared development assets by providing employment opportunities and basic local services, as well as preventing conflict in marginalised urban communities.
In the framework of the SSCoS project, the IOM Bids Evaluation and Award Committee (BEAC) now invites Expression of Interest from reputable organizations, companies and consultants for the implementation of result area 6 of the project (“Provision of consultancy services to Conduct Small Business Skills Trainings for Youth and Women”)
The Expression of Interest shall contain information on the following: a) Range of relevant consulting services offered; b) Qualifications and experience of relevant professionals and technical personnel currently maintained; c) Track record and experience of the applicant in similar assignments, including a list of major clients served and other relevant information; d) Fully filled in, signed and stamped IOM Vendor information Sheet (VIS), along with copies of all the legal trading documents therein required.
The detailed Terms of Reference can be obtained from the IOM Uganda website: http://uganda.iom.int/vacancies-tenders, starting 9 February 2018.
The Vendor Information Sheet (VIS) can be downloaded from: http://uganda.iom.int/strengthening-social-cohesion-and-stability-slum-populations
Alternatively, hard copies of the above documents can be picked, starting the same date, from the IOM head office on Plot 6A Bukoto Crescent, Naguru, Kampala.
Two copies of the bid documents (Original and duplicate) shall be hand-delivered and must be addressed to the IOM Bids Evaluation and Awards Committee (BEAC), with office address at: Plot 6A, Bukoto Crescent, Naguru, Kampala, not later than 23 February 2018 – at 11:am.
The outer envelope should be clearly labelled in the top left corner: “EOI TO CONDUCT SMALL BUSINESS SKILLS TRAININGS FOR YOUTH AND WOMEN” with both the technical and financial proposals enclosed.
Interested Service Providers/ Consulting Firms can obtain further information from the BEAC on Email: UgandaProcurementandLogistics2_DL@iom.int starting 9 February 2018 from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm.
The BEAC reserves the right to accept or reject any bid and to annul the selection process and reject all bids at any time, without thereby incurring any liability to the affected Service Providers/ Consulting Firms.
TERMS OF REFERENCE (ToR)
Vulnerable Youth in target communities access employment opportunities and financial services
Project Framework and Consultancy Outcome
The project “Strengthening Social Cohesion and Stability in Slum Population” is a three-and-a-half-year initiative being implemented by the International Organization of Migration (IOM) with AFFCAD as an implementing partner working with youth. The Project is funded by the European Union, for a period of 42 months starting August 2016, and is expected to end in February 2020. The project implementation focuses on four slums in Kampala: Bwaise, Kisenyi, Katwe and Kabalagala
The overall objective of the Project is to address the root causes of inter-communal conflict in slum populations by addressing sources of grievances and by strengthening community cohesion around shared development assets. The specific objective is to provide employment opportunities and basic local services, as well as preventing conflict in marginalized communities in urban slums in Uganda.
In line with the above project, IOM seeks to engage a consultant to undertake the development of comprehensive training manuals and conduct the training for 200 youth and women in business skills development and set up.
Scope of Work and expected deliverables
- A clear course outline to guide the facilitators on the standards of the training
- A training manual for the trainees including all topics to be covered during the training.
- Train 400 youth in enterprise selection, marketing, customer care and other relevant topics
- Support the trainees on basic finance and accounting procedures; writing a business plan, registration, choosing the business location, licensing and taxation.
- Prepare a list of companies identified to provide job placements and internships for trainees, such as private sector companies and non-government organizations
- Prepare the criteria for selection of the internship and job placement companies and organizations in consultation with IOM.
- Support youth who are interested in setting up small businesses through training in writing a business plan, registration, choosing the business location, licensing, taxes, and financial management.
- Support the trainees to prepare activity reports.
- A training report.
- Follow up trainees for up to six months to provide mentorship and networking engagements.
- A proposal outlining the background of the consultant.
- Training methodology, work plan and budget for 20 participants.
- Comprehensive training manual and facilitator’s guide.
- A training report.
This training will take four weeks. This excludes the 2 weeks of preparation by the consultant.
Requirements for Experience and qualification d competencies
- Consultancy registration certificate.
- Recent Resumes/CVs of the facilitators.
- The facilitators should have advanced training in the Education field, human resource management or development studies, or related fields.
- Experience in teaching enterprise selection for youth on business management.
- A minimum of five years’ experience in learning and development, and capacity building
- Experience in managing large numbers of trainees.
- Provide proof for having worked on a similar assignment in the past 2 years, with 2 success stories attached.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
A technical and financial proposal that includes
- Detailed methodology and conceptual framework with expected deliverables and timelines.
- Profile of the consulting firm indicating experience and suitability to carry-out this assignment.
- Recent Resumes/CVs of facilitators
- 30% on signing the contract and submission of an inception report that includes methodology and a work plan
- 40% on submission of a comprehensive training manual
- 30% on completion of the Training and submission of the training report.